Finally the much awaited 16th Lok Sabha elections in two Parliamentary Constituencies of Goa have ended on a high and successful note. Here are some highlights with facts & figures:
- Goa has just two Members of Parliament (MP) seats from two Parliamentary Constituencies North Goa and South Goa.
- In 2004 there were 16 candidates, in 2009 there were 18 and this year 2014 there were 19 candidates in contention for 2 Lok Sabha seats in Goa.
- Polling Date: Initially 17th April 2014 later changed to 12 April 2014.
- Interestingly North Goa is smaller by area but larger by size of Electorate (5,92,920)
- Whereas South Goa is just the opposite, larger by area but smaller by size of Electorate (4,64,579)
- Polling was held at 1,622 polling stations spread across 1,152 polling station locations in Goa.
Goa’s Total Population v/s Total Electorate v/s total EPIC holders
- State’s total population is 14,94,198 people
- State’s total electorate consists of 10,57,499 electors (as on 2ndJanuary 2014) i.e: 10,57,499 electorate = 1.57+ million electorate.
- State’s total EPIC holders are 10,33,188 people.
(*Electorate: All the people of the area who are entitled to vote in an election.)
(*EPIC:Elector’s Photo Identity Card )
- 12.11% (1,28,111 electorate) are in the age group 18-25.
- 35.05% are in the age group 25-40
- Women constitute 50%. (5,28,799 electorate)
- 28,646 new young voters were eligible to vote during the 16th Lok Sabha.
- Goa recorded a whopping 76.82 % turnout , compared to 55% in 2009 and 58% in 2004.
- Previous Lok Sabha polling record was 61 % in 1998.
- North Goa recorded 78.60% whereas South Goa recorded 75.14%
- For the first time since the last two Lok Sabha Elections (2004 & 2009) women voters have outnumbered men.
Highest Voting %
- Sankhali (Sanquelim) Constituency recorded highest voting percentage of 84.27% in North Goa.
- Followed by Sanvordem Constituency with 84.27% in South Goa.
- It is noted that the highest turnout is from the mining belt. Sankhali & Sanvordem are the two major hubs of mining activity.
Lowest Voting %
- Both South Goa Constituencies Cuncolim & Benaulim Constituency recorded the lowest turnout of 62% and 65% respectively (*Non verified report)
Now that voting is finally over and the EVMs are safely stored at Bal Bhavan in Panaji and Kare College of Law at Margao, one can only speculate & wait till 16th May 2014 to declare the winners & losers of Lok Sabha Election 2014.